Easy-to-make foam printing plate stamps create fabulous textured Gelli prints! Watch this video to see how to create DIY foam stamps for unique prints on cards!
They're so easy and fun to make, you'll have a collection of these stamps in no time!
There's a variety of materials that you can use to make a texture stamp. Here we're using thin sheets of foam—available at art stores for use as printmaking plates. It cuts easily with scissors or a craft knife—and drawing into it with a pen, pencil, stylus or other pointed tool gives you endless design opportunities!
Decorative-edge scissors cut smoothly through the thin foam material—and hand punches work well too! If you have a die-cutting machine (like a Cuttlebug, etc.)—you can run it through with an embossing folder and create a very cool embossed surface on the foam. Then cut your own shapes from the embossed printing foam!
Instead of the foam sheets for printmaking, you can also use styrofoam plates or repurposed clean food trays.
Incise lines into the pieces with a pencil, ballpoint pen or stylus. Cut or punch out some small areas. The design can be simple shapes, or as intricate as you want. You can plan your design beforehand, or just wing it!
As you make your marks in the foam, keep in mind that what you see is what you get. So that means you can write words in the foam too! No need to figure out reversals—how perfect for adding a sentiment to your cards!
The prints in the video are made on the 5"x7" Gelli plate—using Amsterdam Standard Series Acrylic paints and Pebeo Studio Acrylics.
Strathmore has a new line of printmaking paper and they've made it into beautiful card and envelope sets. The cards and envelopes shown here are all printed on Strathmore Printmaking Cards.
The following steps describe the process shown in the video for creating the Gelli printed card:
- Roll a thin layer of acrylic paint onto the Gelli plate with a brayer
- Press a texture tool (like bubble wrap) into the paint
- Cover with your card and pull a print
- Wipe the plate clean (not essential—but makes a nice clean print)
- Roll a layer of a contrasting color onto the plate with a brayer
- Place your foam stamps on the painted plate
- Cover with thin paper (such as deli paper)—to press the stamps into the paint and remove the paint from the plate around the stamps
- Remove the cover paper and remove the foam stamps
- Place your printed card on the Gelli plate to print a second layer
- Rub to transfer the paint and pull your print—the second layer on your card!
While you're printing your cards, also print on the envelopes!
There are various ways to create a blank space for the address. Here are a few suggestions:
- Strategically place a piece of torn or cut paper on the painted, stamped Gelli plate to create a blank space.
- Place a removable label on the envelope as a mask. Print over it—then remove the label.
- Scrape or wipe off an area of wet paint on the Gelli plate, then print your envelope.
Receiving hand-printed cards and envelopes is always special! Printing your unique stamp images on beautiful paper enhances your artwork and shows the love!
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED!!!!
Winner is Roberta K!
And to show OUR love—we have an exceptional GIVEAWAY for cardmaking!!!
The prize kit includes:
1 - 5"x7" Gelli Arts Gel Printing Plate
1 - Strathmore Printmaking Cards - Package of 50 Cards and Envelopes
8 - Amsterdam Standard Series Acrylic Paint - 120 ml tubes (4.1 fl. oz.)
1 - Speedball 4" Pop-In Soft Rubber Brayer
1 - Inovart 'Presto' Foam Printing Plates - Package of 20 - 9"x12" sheets
To enter the giveaway, click on the red "ENTER GIVEAWAY HERE" button below! (This will ensure that we can contact the winner and that entries are limited to one per person. One winner will be selected from all the entries via a random number generator to receive this very special giveaway!)
Entries will be accepted until Wednesday, February 25th at 1pm. Our lucky winner will be contacted by email and announced here on the blog and on our Facebook page no later than Wednesday, the 25th at 5pm!
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED!!!!
Special thanks to our friends at Strathmore for their generous donation to our giveaway prize!
Remember, we now have Gelli partners all over the world, so it's easier than ever to find a Gelli retailer near you!
Good Luck and Happy Printing!